Monday, August 8, 2011

Plaster Vessel


In the Plaster course I took in June/July, Stephanie Lee showed us how to make vessels out of plaster. I loved the look of them, but for some reason it took me a lot of time to build up enough courage to give it a try. I think it was because I wanted to ensure I had enough time to work on it, and having the past week off work, I decided to give it a try.


I made my vessel in a crude boat shape. It is made out of wire and covered with plaster. (Tricker than it sounds) Once this part was completed, it took about 3 days to dry.


I then painted the outside, coated the inside with a layer of encaustic wax, which I carved into, and then rubbed a thin layer of paint onto the wax.





I enjoyed making it, and one day when I once again have a big chunk of time, I will make another one.


But for now, it is time to finish up a few chores, and clean up the art supplies as it is back to work tomorrow. It has been a wonderfully creative week!


7 comments:

  1. I love your plaster vessel! What size is it? I'm wondering how clay would react -- oh the possibilities! I've made a couple of tiles to test - waiting on enough work to fill my kiln.

    Hope work doesn't take up too much time -- always love to see your creative stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim, it's really beautiful! I didn't realize the size until I saw it in your hands, bigger than I thought ... good job!
    Also loving your header collage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pod/boat shape and your minimalist touch on this piece as well as the incising that looks like stitching. Well done!
    xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so gorgeous! Glad you've had a wonderful week off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely vessel! What wonderful things is it going to hold?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I was in the plaster class, and I finally had the courage to put something on the photo list...wish my pieces could have been as zen like, calm and peaceful as yours. I am so happy you had time to try this process. You are so correct, it does take a lot of time and thought and for many of us a new medium to work in. I hope you do more. smiles: sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutley fabulous.
    I hope that you follow through with more work in plaster.

    ReplyDelete